Very often, we get caught up in the treadmill of trying to keep up without thinking about whether we are happy or not. But the point of going out to work is to live happy lives, so now and again you need to stop and take stock of where you are.
Alexandria Blaelock, author of Holistic Personal Finance: How to pay for the life you want argues “Wealth is abundance, and in medieval times it meant happiness, not money! These days you are more likely to be time poor, and spending your hard earned money buying leisure time. But are you using it in ways that make you happy?”
Here are Blaelock’s tips for creating happy lives:
- Establish a Vision of Your Future: Make some time to think about what makes you happy, and how you would feel if you could spend more time pursuing those things. Think about the things that you would be willing to sacrifice (e.g., watching tv) so you could do more of them (e.g., playing golf).
- Set Some Goals: Work out how much time you need to pursue these activities, and how much that would cost you. Plan how you’re going to fit them in your life, and when.
- Make it Happen: Once you’ve made your plans, make a commitment to yourself that you are going to do them. Hardwire them into your schedule; book your tee time, buy show tickets, pay for your classes.
- Share the Joy: Talk to your friends about your experience, and post it on social media. By savouring the experience with others you intensify the memory of the event and your emotions around it. You will want more, and your friends will remind you that you made that commitment to yourself by continually asking about it.
- Think about What’s Next: Over time, your experience of the same thing becomes less intense, but you can rekindle your happiness by planning the next thing. Maybe it’s a different golf course, or a different activity, but whatever it is, go back to step one (Establish a Vision) and start all over again.
Putting Alexandria’s tips into action, you’ll be well on the way to developing happy lives that depend on a different kind of wealth.
For Further Information Contact:
+613 9758 1378 (24-hour messaging service)