Some lucky people in close, loving families don’t need to worry about entertaining family. For the rest of us, entertaining family is difficult at best, and downright dangerous at worst.
Alexandria Blaelock, author of Stress Free Dinner Parties: How to plan, host and enjoy your party says “Between rivalry and blood feuds, entertaining family can be one of the most stressful dinner parties you’ll ever host. You need to prepare yourself for the worst.”
Here are Blaelock’s tips for entertaining family:
- Release hope: It would be marvellous if this time it all went without a hitch, but that’s the least likely scenario. If you prepare for the worst, at the very least you won’t be disappointed.
- Use your reliable menu: Make your easiest and most reliable dishes; you’ll need your strength for dealing with the atmosphere.
- Manage the risks: Think about all the things that can possibly go wrong, and do what you can to prevent the worst ones.
- Minimise: Try to minimise your exposure – serve two courses instead of three and more water than wine.
- Pack your nice stuff away: Put away everything that you don’t want broken or mocked. And don’t forget that photo of your new boyfriend they don’t know about yet.
With Alexandria’s tips, entertaining family may still be awful, but you will be more prepared and less stressed.
For Further Information Contact:
+613 9758 1378 (24-hour messaging service)