It’s easy to throw things in your shopping basket, particularly online. But when it comes time to pay for them, you either buy them all and exceed your budget or face the seemingly impossible task of choosing between garments.
Alexandria Blaelock, author of Ms Blaelock’s Book of Signature Wardrobe Planning says, “the hard thing about modern life is that there is too much choice. When a garment makes it into your basket, you feel a sense of ownership which makes it hard to take it out again. You can’t buy everything, so you need to decide what’s important for right now.”
Here are Blaelock’s tips for choosing between garments:
- Make a plan: There is something tremendously satisfying when you get to that point in the story where the hero says, “Here’s the plan…” You know everything is going to work out because they know where they’re going and what they’re doing. And this is going to help them overcome the obstacles in their path. Make a plan for what you want, and don’t put anything in the basket that throws it off the rails.
- Choose some colours: The easiest of all decisions is whether something is the right colour. Pick two to three of your favourite colours to wear, and if the garment is not them, it doesn’t go in the basket. And at the end of the day, you can pick clothes at random from your wardrobe with a reasonable expectation that they will all go together.
- Get to know fabrics: Often clothing labels are more about protecting the manufacturer than actual care instructions. If you don’t buy clothes you aren’t willing to care for properly; you can save money on dry cleaning, time on ironing, and space in your wardrobe for clothes you will. Understanding the feel and drape helps too (see below).
- Think about what feels good to you: Do you like clothes that feel soft and smooth on your skin, or do you prefer something with a bit of texture. Knowing that you loathe loose polyester blouses, tight non-stretch pants, or scratchy ribbed sweaters makes it easy to leave them out of the basket.
- Understand what looks good on you: The same garment fits differently on high and low waists and drapes differently on large or small busts and hips. Understanding your proportions and garment construction allows you to bypass some styles and structures. Or to buy the same shape and call it your signature!
These five tips will help you start choosing between garments and help you shop more efficiently.
For Further Information Contact:
+613 9758 1378 (24-hour messaging service)