Every season brings a new list of garments you must rush out and buy. The reality is that advertisers and free samples drive these “stories”, and the clothes will not be right for everyone. You need a way of assessing seasonal fashion essentials.
Alexandria Blaelock, author of Build Your Signature Wardrobe: How to look good and feel confident in four steps says, “Fashion is a customary way of dressing, there is no such thing as a fashion essential. Except maybe for space suits. Or aqualungs. And even they are not essential for everyone. Just focus on what’s essential for you.”
Here are Blaelock’s tips for assessing seasonal fashion essentials:
- Do they form complete wardrobes? The lists are usually presented as if they are all you need for the season. When you read it through, check to see whether there are enough bottoms and tops to get you through a week of your usual activities. And whether the items are appropriate for those activities.
- Are they really seasonal? This is more of a problem in winter – you need to check the fine print to see whether the “trench” coat will protect you from the rain, and that the overcoat will be warm enough. In summer, you might like to check the fabric content, and whether swimwear is for sun or water bathing.
- Is the proportional spend right? It might seem obvious, but you should be spending the bulk of your money on the clothes that you will be wearing all the time. If something is going to take a good chunk of your budget, make sure it’s well made in high quality materials that will stand the amount of wear it’s going to get.
- Do you have the non-essentials the essentials rely on? These lists rarely include reminders to refresh your underwear. And they often won’t mention things like needing to buy soft opaque layers to wear under that scratchy sheer blouse.
- Is there money left for love? Planning ahead and buying your new season clothes in one trip is the most practical way of getting it done. But there will always be times you fall in love walking past a shop window so make sure you have a bit left over for your new essentials as you find them.
These five tips for assessing seasonal fashion essentials, will help you buy the most appropriate and stylish clothing for you.
For Further Information Contact:
+613 9758 1378 (24-hour messaging service)